Judas Priest backtracks on his decision to tour as a quartet after fan outcry
Judas Priest has reversed his decision to tour as a quartet following an outcry from fans of the heavy metal legends.
Earlier this month, Judas Priest announced plans to perform their 50th anniversary tour as “an even more powerful and relentless four-piece heavy metal band”, reported Blabbermouth; Judas Priest had not played as a quartet – vocals, a guitar, bass and drums – since 1974, when second guitarist Glenn Tipton joined the band.
With Judas Priest promising sporadic appearances from Tipton on the road – the guitarist largely retired from touring in 2018 due to his battle with Parkinson’s disease, but continues to record with the band – the decision to move forward as a quartet meant Andy Sneap, who is the band’s guitarist and touring producer, would not accompany Judas Priest on the 50th anniversary trek.
However, after Sneap’s absence was criticized by fans – Sneap himself said he was “incredibly disappointed” with the band’s decision – Judas Priest announced on Saturday that they had decided “unanimously” to tour with their two-guitar assault, Snead included.
“Hello metal maniacs…given everything that has recently evolved and transpired, we have unanimously decided as a band to continue our shows unchanged with Rob [Halford], Ian [Hill, bassist], Richie [Faulkner, guitarist], Scott [Travis, drummer], Andy and Glenn are joining us whenever he can,” the band said in a statement to rolling stone. “So see you soon as we move forward to celebrate Judas Priest’s massive 50 years of heavy metal together!”
Postponed nearly two years due to the Covid-19 pandemic, Judas Priest’s 50th anniversary U.S. tour kicks off March 4 in Peoria, Illinois.